PLAINVIEW - A bus driver carried a passenger in a wheelchair to safety after a bus caught fire Thursday.
Fire officials say no one was injured when a Nassau Able-Ride bus erupted into flames Thursday afternoon in Plainview. First responders rushed to Manetto Hill Road around 12:45 p.m. to put out the flames.
Bus driver Jean Jeune says he was able to take his passenger, who uses a wheelchair, to safety by carrying her out of her chair and out of that blaze.
"She was crying, saying 'you're my hero, you saved my life,'" says Jeune.
Jeune credits the training he received for his calm approach and quick thinking during a time of crisis.
It was not immediately clear what sparked the fire.