PORT JEFFERSON STATION - Dozens of sex offenders living on Long Island who are listed on a public registry website could soon be removed from the list.
State law requires convicted sex offenders to be publicly registered on the Parents for Megan's Law website. Under the current law, level 1 offenders were only required to be on the list for 20 years, which was up on Jan. 1.
Laura Ahearn with Parents for Megan's Law says about 60 to 70 registered level 1 sex offenders in Nassau and Suffolk will come off the registry this year alone, barring any changes to the law.
Republican state Assemblyman Dean Murray has introduced a bill that would extend the 20-year requirement to 30 years, but it's currently in committee. Murray says in order for it to fully pass, he needs a Democratic majority member of the Assembly to sponsor it, and so far, none have come forward.
"I don't know if this a leadership issue, or what it is, but I'm continuing to push very hard," Ahearn says. She adds that some of the offenders coming off the list abused children as young as 4 years old.
Reached by News 12, Assemblyman Steve Englebright's office says he would be willing to co-sponsor Murray's bill, but not sponsor it. Englebright's spokeswoman says he would also consider writing his own or sponsoring others that would address the current changes to Megan's Law.