UNIONDALE - Private developers had until today to submit their ideas for a new Nassau Coliseum, but some say they weren't given enough time to make their pitches.
County Executive Ed Mangano (R-Nassau) set the Aug. 12 deadline after Nassau residents voted down a bid to borrow $400 million to build a new arena.
Officials want to redevelop the aging Coliseum and the 77 acres around it. So far, there is no word if any ideas have been submitted.
Alan Eidler, who heads a private task force trying to come up with a plan for the county, says 10 days is not enough time to make a pitch.
"We need to give something that is viable and workable," he says.
While Mangano's office stressed that today was the deadline, the county executive wrote on his Twitter page Aug. 2 that the "'due date' is fluid."
Eidler's group of developers and community leaders plans to submit its proposal by Labor Day.
The county executive's office says it will comment on the Coliseum plans Monday.Exec. Mangano seeking new ideas for Coliseum siteNassau residents still torn over Coliseum decisionIslanders' future uncertain after defeat of Coliseum referendumVIDEO: Exec. Mangano, Isles owner Wang on referendum defeat