WEST BABYLON - A West Babylon church held its first Sunday service after a fire devastated the church.
Members of St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church gathered under a tent outside the church.
The fire started Tuesday night in a room near the alter. Church officials believe a faulty extension cord is to blame.
Some of the Greek Orthodox religious iconography was saved, but about 100 religious icons were destroyed. The building sustained damaged on the inside.
"It felt like I had a death in the family," says congregant Evgenia Koproni. "We're all together. We support each other."
The church thanked Lindenhurst firefighters and the community during the service.
Church officials say between the smoke and water damage, the entire church will have to be gutted and that the renovation will cost close to $1 million.
Church members say they have the will and strength to rebuild. A GoFundMe page has been set up to take donations.