Carbon monoxide law signed by Suffolk Executive Steve Bellone after fatal leak in Huntington restaurant

Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone has signed into law the Steven Nelson Safety Act, requiring county-owned buildings to install carbon monoxide detectors. The bill was

The bill was named for the restaurant manager

The bill was named for the restaurant manager at Legal Seafoods in Huntington who died after being exposed to carbon monoxide in the building’s basement. The restaurant was not required by law to have installed CO detectors. (Credit: News 12)

HAUPPAUGE - Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone has signed into law the Steven Nelson Safety Act, requiring county-owned buildings to install carbon monoxide detectors.

The bill was named for the restaurant manager at Legal Seafoods in Huntington who died after being exposed to carbon monoxide in the building’s basement. The restaurant was not required by law to have installed CO detectors.

The law does not have jurisdiction over privately owned commercial property, which is left up to individual townships.

The Town of Huntington, where Nelson died, says it is working on new regulations and other Long Island towns told News 12 they are also in a similar process.

Suffolk is hoping the state will also pass the carbon monoxide detector requirement in commercial buildings.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Top 5 Must See

Anyone with information is urged to call Nassau 1 Police: Woman robbed in East Meadow Walgreens attack
Police say 76-year-old Walter Kneibert lost control of 2 Man killed, wife injured in West Islip crash
WASHINGTON, DC - JANUARY 20: (L-R) U.S. President 3 Donald Trump sworn in as 45th president of the United States
Julia Fenster, co-president of the Nassau County Chapter 4 LI residents prepare for women's marches in Washington, NYC
News 12 Long Island reporter Eileen Lehpamer was 5 LI residents among thousands present for Trump inauguration

advertisement | advertise on News 12

More News

Legal Seafoods was among the three restaurants evacuated Faulty pipe cause of deadly CO leak

Huntington fire officials are blaming a faulty pipe for the carbon monoxide leak that killed

Legal Sea Foods general manager Steven Nelson, of Customers remember Legal Seafoods manager

Customers are remembering the Legal Sea Foods restaurant manager who was killed by a carbon

Fire officials say a faulty flue pipe Lawmaker calls for CO detector law after leak

Fire officials say a faulty flue pipe leading from a water heater caused a buildup

Nassau County’s legislature just approved a bill requiring Nassau passes law requiring CO detectors

Nassau County’s legislature just approved a bill requiring carbon monoxide detectors in all commercial buildings.

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE