Carbon monoxide kills elderly Garden City couple

An elderly couple died from carbon monoxide poisoning inside their home on Meadowbrook Road in Garden City this morning.Police say when they arrived at the

GARDEN CITY - An elderly couple died from carbon monoxide poisoning inside their home on Meadowbrook Road in Garden City this morning.

Police say when they arrived at the residence of Joe and Kay Hayes, they discovered that a car was left running inside a locked garage. It's unclear how long the car had been running, but investigators believe the fumes killed the elderly couple.

The victims, both in their 80s, were found by firefighters in an upstairs bedroom. Authorities say the house was filled with high levels of carbon monoxide.

Sue Hall, the couple's longtime friend, says both of the spouses had been ill for some time. She says Joe Hayes was suffering from heart disease, while his wife likely had Alzheimer's disease.

Police say it appears that the couple died as a result of a tragic accident.

Share on Facebook Tweet on Twitter

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Top 5 Must See

1 Former LuHi star signs with Hofstra basketball
Tree limbs and power lines across Long Island 2 Ferocious winds topple trees, power lines
Village officials are advising residents to move their 3 Street flooding reported in Lindenhurst
A Freeport police officer is attracting attention for 4 Freeport mayor voices support for officer turning heads as model
In Long Beach, officials recommend moving cars to 5 South Shore braces for possible beach erosion due to nor'easter

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Each week, News 12's Doug Geed explores the Check out fun things to do on the East End!

Explore the Twin Forks with News 12's Doug Geed.

Each week a different shelter visits News 12 Dog Day Fridays Series

Each week a different shelter visits News 12 Long Island with pets up for adoption.

News 12 digs deep to find Long Island's Discover Long Island's Hidden Past

News 12's Danielle Campbell digs into Long Island's roots.

News 12's Lily Stolzberg sees how much Long On The Spot

News 12's Lily Stolzberg sees how much Long Islanders know about everything and anything.

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE