GARDEN CITY - An elderly couple died from carbon monoxide poisoning inside their home on Meadowbrook Road in Garden City this morning.

Police say when they arrived at the residence of Joe and Kay Hayes, they discovered that a car was left running inside a locked garage. It's unclear how long the car had been running, but investigators believe the fumes killed the elderly couple.

The victims, both in their 80s, were found by firefighters in an upstairs bedroom. Authorities say the house was filled with high levels of carbon monoxide.

Sue Hall, the couple's longtime friend, says both of the spouses had been ill for some time. She says Joe Hayes was suffering from heart disease, while his wife likely had Alzheimer's disease.

Police say it appears that the couple died as a result of a tragic accident.