CALVERTON - A 3-year-old boy from Calverton is lucky to be alive after getting his throat impaled on a 12-inch American flag.

Beth Glennerster says on Monday, her son Jayden was playing with his trucks and the flag he got at a recent parade. He grabbed the flag and ran into the living room, where he fell, getting his throat pierced through the roof of his mouth.

Cradling the toddler in her arms, Glennerster yelled to a neighbor to call 911.

Experts at Stony Brook Long Island Children's Hospital determined that Jayden's life was in jeopardy because the flag pole was dangerously close to the main artery to his brain.

"He was lucky that the foreign body just passed the carotid artery with just 1-2 millimeters, literally," says Dr. Mark Marzouk, of Stony Brook Long Island Children's Hospital.

After having the flag removed, the only reminder of Jayden's ordeal is stitches in his throat.