COMMACK - A man, his pregnant wife and their 2-year-old son were saved from their burning home Monday afternoon by the boy next door.
The fire broke out at a home on Ulster Court in Commack while the unaware family was in bed watching television.
Marc Kimmel tells News 12 that he heard banging, screaming and his doorbell. His neighbor was alerting him to a fire in the back of his home.
Kimmel’s wife instantly took their child and left the home, while the two doused the flames with a backyard hose.
There were no injuries.
It wasn’t until after the flames were quelled that the Kimmels learned that 10-year-old Christopher Schneider was the first to alert his dad of the black smoke rising from his neighbor’s home. He remembered from school that black smoke means that a fire is still burning. The boy quickly called the authorities to the scene, but the fire had already been extinguished.
“No matter how old you are, all it takes is one phone call to save someone's life,” the young hero told News 12.