AMT’s coffee stop averts CO scare at Dunkin’ Donuts in Carle Place

A man who walked into a doughnut shop for a cup of coffee walked out a hero after he averted a potentially life-threatening leak.

Nassau County AMT Joseph Biundo says he stopped

Nassau County AMT Joseph Biundo says he stopped at the Dunkin' Donuts on Glen Cove Road in Carle Place on Friday morning. He was wearing a personal monoxide detector, and to his surprise, it went off.

CARLE PLACE - A man who walked into a doughnut shop for a cup of coffee walked out a hero after he averted a potentially life-threatening leak.

Nassau County AMT Joseph Biundo says he stopped at the Dunkin' Donuts on Glen Cove Road in Carle Place on Friday morning. He was wearing a personal monoxide detector, and to his surprise, it went off.

Biundo says he exited the store and his device went back to zero, but when we went back inside, it detected the presence of the odorless gas at 35 parts per million.

"I asked to go in the back, where the ovens were, and back there it shot up to over 80 parts per million," Biundo says.

The AMT quickly called the fire department and it was determined that an oven exhaust fan wasn't working properly. Biundo says if someone had been exposed to those levels of carbon monoxide for several hours, it could have been deadly.

Biundo is not required to carry the CO meter with him, but he purchased one for himself for $200 after the fatal carbon monoxide poisoning incident at a Legal Sea Food restaurant in February.

Nassau County recently passed a law that would require CO detectors in all commercial buildings by Jan. 1, 2015.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Top 5 Must See

Police say they found a man dead inside 1 Police: Man found dead inside Farmingville home
The unidentified body was discovered near Seaview and 2 Police: Body of young man found in Massapequa Preserve
Detectives say Jeffrey Plummer fired at least 3 Police ID suspect sought for opening fire outside Coram home
Long Island Boat Show being held at Grumman 4 LI's largest boat show this weekend in Bethpage
Office of Management and Budget Mick Mulvaney, right, 5 House sets risky health care vote after Trump demands it

advertisement | advertise on News 12

More News

Police say an oven vent had failed and Dunkin' Donuts evacuated for carbon monoxide

A Dunkin' Donuts in Carle Place was evacuated Friday morning when a Nassau County AMT's

Legal Seafoods was among the three restaurants evacuated Faulty pipe cause of deadly CO leak

Huntington fire officials are blaming a faulty pipe for the carbon monoxide leak that killed

Legal Sea Foods general manager Steven Nelson, of Customers remember Legal Seafoods manager

Customers are remembering the Legal Sea Foods restaurant manager who was killed by a carbon

Fire officials say a faulty flue pipe Lawmaker calls for CO detector law after leak

Fire officials say a faulty flue pipe leading from a water heater caused a buildup

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE