Alyce Woods, 93, identified as victim in East Northport deadly house fire

Fire officials say flames and heavy smoke filled the home just after 9 p.m. last night on Grover Lane.

Fire officials say flames and heavy smoke filled

Fire officials say flames and heavy smoke filled the home just after 9 p.m. last night on Grover Lane.

EAST NORTHPORT - Police say a 93-year-old woman has died after a fire broke out at her East Northport home. 

Fire officials say flames and heavy smoke filled the home just after 9 p.m. last night on Grover Lane. Members of the East Northport Volunteer Fire Department say their assistant chief was on the scene within two minutes because he lived nearby.

Neighbors tell News 12 they tried to rescue the woman, but the fire spread too quickly.

According to officials, Alyce Woods, who was alone in the home, was found on the second floor of the home. Woods was a community-minded widow who lived in the home since it was built in 1957.

Woods was honored by the Cold Spring Hills Nursing Home for her volunteer work back in 1980. One neighbor says she remembers Woods as a sweet and dear friend who lately was getting frail.

Neighbors say years before losing her husband, Woods lost her only daughter.

News 12 Long Island has learned no foul play is suspected and the cause may have been electrical.

Detectives believe the fire started in Woods' bedroom.

 

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Top 5 Must See

A small group of LIRR commuters turned out 1 Public hearing held on expected LIRR fare hikes
Police say a truck skidded off the road 2 Police: 1 dead in Mount Sinai crash
Some Long Island families received gifts, like toys 3 'Tis the Season: Helping Hands Toy Drive
The LIRR is imposing an alcohol ban 4 LIRR imposes alcohol ban for Santacon weekend
In video obtained by News 12, you can 5 Shirley family left homeless after fire rips through home

advertisement | advertise on News 12

More News

The fire sparked at a house on Grover Fire breaks out at E. Northport home

Firefighters have contained a fire that broke out at a house in East Northport Thursday

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE