BRENTWOOD - Police say an 8-year-old girl suffered burns to her face and arms from an outdoor candle in Brentwood last night.

Police say it happened outside of a relative's home on Madison Avenue at around 9 p.m. The candle was a citronella type, commonly used to ward off mosquitoes and other insects.

A neighbor tells News 12 Long Island that the ordeal was a terrible accident. He said the child bent over near the candle and her blouse caught fire.

The girl was airlifted to Stony Brook University Medical Center, where she is in serious condition.

Police say the incident has been ruled an accident, but they are still investigating.