6 people sick from CO leak at Hempstead home

Cops say half a dozen people got sick today from carbon monoxide at a home in Nassau County. Police say several people, including an infant,

HEMPSTEAD - Cops say half a dozen people got sick today from carbon monoxide at a home in Nassau County.

Police say several people, including an infant, had to be rushed to the hospital when they started feeling sick.

Fire officials say an oil-burner backup caused the carbon monoxide readings to be high. Firefighters say there's an increase in carbon monoxide cases during this time of year because people are turning on their heat for the first time of the season.

No one was seriously hurt during the incident.

Experts recommend that residents have their burners serviced at least once a year.

Share on Facebook Tweet on Twitter

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Top 5 Must See

Nassau Police say a Hempstead man has been 1 Police: Man arrested for sex assault of child, stabbing 2 women
Police officers stand guard on a road leading 2 UK Parliament resumes, holds minute's silence after attack
The arena in Uniondale opens April 5 with 3 Rebuilt Nassau Coliseum to feature express parking lanes
The incident happened as Pope Francis was blessing 4 Little girl swipes cap off Pope during blessing
A large police response was spotted late last 5 Sources: Armed home invasion reported in Shirley

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Each week, News 12's Doug Geed explores the Check out fun things to do on the East End!

Explore the Twin Forks with News 12's Doug Geed.

Each week a different shelter visits News 12 Dog Day Fridays Series

Each week a different shelter visits News 12 Long Island with pets up for adoption.

News 12 digs deep to find Long Island's Discover Long Island's Hidden Past

News 12's Danielle Campbell digs into Long Island's roots.

News 12's Lily Stolzberg sees how much Long On The Spot

News 12's Lily Stolzberg sees how much Long Islanders know about everything and anything.

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE