HEMPSTEAD - Cops say half a dozen people got sick today from carbon monoxide at a home in Nassau County.

Police say several people, including an infant, had to be rushed to the hospital when they started feeling sick.

Fire officials say an oil-burner backup caused the carbon monoxide readings to be high. Firefighters say there's an increase in carbon monoxide cases during this time of year because people are turning on their heat for the first time of the season.

No one was seriously hurt during the incident.

Experts recommend that residents have their burners serviced at least once a year.