20 sick after carbon monoxide leak reported at Bay Shore home on Brentwood Road
BAY SHORE - Five Bay Shore residents were hospitalized and more than a dozen rescuers were injured after being overcome by carbon monoxide in a home on Brentwood Road.
Police say a call was made to 911 just before midnight on Friday to report that residents were having trouble breathing.
Neighbors say that police had to break down the door to get in. Officials evacuated everyone inside the home after discovering the leak.
READ MORE: Long Island Top Stories
The five residents taken to the hospital are in serious condition.
Two police officers were taken to the hospital as well. 13 firefighters were treated for minor exposure to carbon monoxide at the scene.
Bay Shore Fire Department Chief Brian Butler says a generator was being used by the home to provide electricity. He says that after contacting PSEG, it was discovered that electrical services to the home had been cut off days ago, although no reason was given as to why.
Police have not yet identified the victims.