20 sick after carbon monoxide leak reported at Bay Shore home on Brentwood Road

Five Bay Shore residents were hospitalized and more than a dozen rescuers were injured after being overcome by carbon monoxide in a home on Brentwood

Two police officers were overcome by fumes and

Two police officers were overcome by fumes and 13 firefighters were treated for minor exposure to carbon monoxide. (Credit: News 12 Long Island)

BAY SHORE - Five Bay Shore residents were hospitalized and more than a dozen rescuers were injured after being overcome by carbon monoxide in a home on Brentwood Road.

Police say a call was made to 911 just before midnight on Friday to report that residents were having trouble breathing.

Neighbors say that police had to break down the door to get in. Officials evacuated everyone inside the home after discovering the leak.

The five residents taken to the hospital are in serious condition.

Two police officers were taken to the hospital as well. 13 firefighters were treated for minor exposure to carbon monoxide at the scene.

Bay Shore Fire Department Chief Brian Butler says a generator was being used by the home to provide electricity. He says that after contacting PSEG, it was discovered that electrical services to the home had been cut off days ago, although no reason was given as to why.

Police have not yet identified the victims.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Top 5 Must See

A house on Joyce Drive in Hauppauge was 1 House destroyed in early morning Hauppauge fire
News 12's Elisa DiStefano and Newsday's Anne Bratskeir 2 Festive Friday: Subscription Boxes
The committee that oversees Nassau's bus system voted 3 Committee votes against NICE Bus service cuts
A public hearing will be held about the 4 Hempstead IDA announces public hearing on mall tax break
In this Feb. 20, 2012 photo, U.S. Sen. 5 Former astronaut, US Sen. John Glenn of Ohio has died at 95

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Need help this holiday season? We've got you Holiday Help Series

Need a gift idea? Perhaps you need a fun idea to do with the kids?

Each week a different shelter visits News 12 Dog Day Fridays Series

Each week a different shelter visits News 12 Long Island with pets up for adoption.

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE