HEMPSTEAD - Officials say more than a dozen people were hurt in an apartment fire that was started by a candle in Hempstead.

According to police, the fire broke out at the apartment on Terrace Avenue around 10:30 p.m.

Police say 13 people suffered smoke inhalation and were taken to the hospital. Two people are in critical but stable condition and a firefighter was treated for a minor injury.

A total of six families have been displaced by the blaze.

Officials say the fire started when a tenant lit a candle and fell asleep.